Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blueberry Oat Buttermilk Pancakes (Cuisinart)

These are my favorite pancakes... I make them for dinner probably more often than I make them for breakfast :) Then I refrigerate the leftovers (or you could freeze) and put them in the toaster (2 cycles, I turn them over so they are completely reheated) in the morning. The recipe actually came in the manual for my Cuisinart Griddler. These are low-fat and full of whole grains and fruit so you don't have to feel too guilty about eating them!

Ingredients:
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (actually calls for 1 cup but I switched up the proportions)
1 1/3 cup rolled oats (regular, not quick oats)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (this is where I switched it up - the recipe calls for 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup egg beaters (actually calls for 2 eggs)
3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (calls for 3 Tbsp vegetable oil)

Place the blueberries in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of the flour and toss to coat; reserve. Preheat your griddle to 350 degrees F.

Place the remaining flour, oats, wheat flour, brown sugar (break up lumps), baking soda, and salt in a medium-large bowl; stir with a whisk. Place the buttermilk, egg beaters (or eggs), and applesauce (or oil) in a medium-small bowl; stir.
Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk until blended.
Gently fold in the blueberries. (Spray the griddle with Pam or lightly oil it)
When your griddle is preheated, drop the batter onto the grill plates, using a scant quarter cup measure. Bake the pancakes for 2-3 minutes. When pancakes are bubbling on the top, turn and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
One of the few sugar free products I'm a fan of: pancake syrup. Also on the list: diet soda (not to say that it is good for you, I just like it and don't think its particularly bad in moderation, plus no empty calories)and sugar free gum. There is a significant calorie difference in the light vs. sugar-free versions of syrup. I'm pulling this from my memory, but if I recall, the serving size for syrup is 1/4 c. and the regular version has 220 calories. The light version has about 50% of the calories, or 110, and the sugar free version that I use has 30. The light and SF versions do contain sugar alcohols, that can cause "gastric distress" in large quantities, but I have never experienced any side effects from SF syrup. The margarine shown here - Brummel & Brown is a favorite of mine as well. It is yummy, has about half the fat and calories of regular tub margarine and ZERO TRANS FAT! Stick margarine has trans fat and stick butter is high in saturated fat. This is a pretty good compromise nutrition-wise (and I honestly like it more).
Ta-da! Blueberry Oat Buttermilk Pancakes!

They really don't take long to prep. The only problem I have is I want to eat the first batch, but am usually still baking the rest of the batter and forget to turn them :(
Hope you enjoy!
Love, B

1 comment:

  1. Note to self: show up at Beth's house for breakfast soon.

    ReplyDelete