Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti (Elkins HS cookbook 2000) for Gabby

This is not one of my healthiest recipes, but it is a feels-good-in-my-belly favorite. It makes alot and can be frozen, so it is what I often take for pot luck, new baby, funeral, etc. I assure you that Velveeta and cream soups are not the staples of my diet but every once in a while they can really make things taste good! I do opt for the 2% Velveeta (or HEB/Kroger brand) and the reduced fat/sodium canned soups and use whole grain pasta (you can NOT tell in this, so you might as well sneak the whole grains in!) to make me feel a BIT more virtuous :)

Ingredients:
1 med. onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1 can Rotel tomatoes
salt/pepper to taste
1 pkg uncooked spaghetti (12-16 oz)
2 cans creamed soup (chicken, celery or mushroom)
1 pound Velveeta, cubed (half of a big/standard block)
4 large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (reserve chicken broth)
1 can mushrooms, chopped

Saute onion, bell pepper and celery in butter (or olive oil). Add soup, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese and chicken in a large pot. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in the leftover chicken broth. Combine spaghetti and sauce. Pour into a 9x13" pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment